I bought this jacket on clearance yesterday and I’m not crazy about the color. I don’t know if you can tell from the picture but it’s somewhere between pink and chocolate milk. It’s 100% cotton so I thought I might dye it. What color options do I have? Do you think i could get it to a nice muted red? or maybe I should just try and take it more brown.
You can probably get a really good red or brown out of that jacket without any trouble. Here are some things to consider.
- If the coat has a removable lining, you want to do them separate.
- Make sure you wet the whole thing down before putting it in the dye as thicker fabrics are harder to get an even dye out of.
- Use a very LARGE container to dye this with. I would do it in a full tub if you can. If the container is two small it will create an uneven marbling effect with the color. Where as that can be a fun effect for a flower child skirt, I don’t think thats what your going for with the Jacket.
- Get some latex dish gloves so you can put your hands in with the coat and really mix it around.
- Last of all. I recommend removing the button and then putting them back on after your done.
Good Luck! I think the finished coat will look cute. You must send me an after Picture. For more on Dyeing clothes