A Funny Thing Happened on my way to Dallas

I won’t go into a huge Travelog of my trip, but I thought I would share a funny little disaster story that happened to me. This story is proof possessive that the worst of days often make for the best of stories. It seemed like just one thing after another went wrong.


I left the house at 4:30AM so that I would have plenty of time to get the the airport, drop off the rental car, check in my luggage, and get my two kids and myself on the plane by 7:10 AM. Being in a city that I was not familiar with, I wanted to give myself plenty of time for error.

But I got lost in DC on my way to the airport. My GPS was registering where I was about ten seconds after I pasted my turn. So, it took me an hour and a half to make a 20 min drive. They wouldn’t let me do curbside baggage check so I had to drop off the rental car and then walk my five suite cases, two car seats and two kids a half mile back to the terminal.

The women at the ticket counter made a mistake and the result was that she couldn’t check one of my suitcases and I had to carry it on. As a result, I got stopped at security and my carryon got searched for bombs while Piper(my two year old) threw a nock down scream it out tantrum.

We had to do the whole run through the airport thing with Piper still screaming at the top of her lungs and our name being call over the intercom. Piper continued to scream for the first half hour of the flight. When we landed she threw another fit on the jet bridge while Salem(four year old) walked off without us.

Salem and her suitcase got caught in a revolving door. I was able to get her out, but they had to put up an out of order sign and call maintenance to get the suitcase out. Salem sat there in tears because she was sure her suitcase was lost forever.

As I pulled one of the car seats off the baggage carousel, I didn’t notice that is was hooked to a very large and heavy suitcase which came flying off the carousel and slammed into my legs and I tumbled over the suitcase and car seat. (Refer to the photo)

And last of all. As we were exiting the airport, Salem told me she left her eye eyeglasses on the plane. I was so glad the plane had not left yet. All this happened before 9:30 in the morning. Talk about your bad Karma.

Looking back at that day, all I can do is laugh! I hope you did too.

This entry was posted in Thoroughly Modern Mormon and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to A Funny Thing Happened on my way to Dallas

  1. Jocelyn says:

    I just had to cringe as I was reading this. I’ve had some of those exact same problems, but not all in one morning! You’re amazing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s